Tuesday, March 4, 2008

We have Snow

It's officially a snow day, or at least it was.

Springdale schools, like all the other schools in the area, were closed today. Levi was estatic. We got all our gear on, but by the time we got outside, all the snow was pretty much gone.

So, we're reduced to sitting inside and looking at each other. They are actually playing together quite well today so I have some time to catch up on my little blog.

Levi got his 2nd stripe on his yellow belt in karate last week and, as always, was absolutely beside himself. We started martial arts last September and just signed up for 6 more months. He has learned so much about balance, coordination, and learning when not to talk (self-control is a BIGGIE in karate). I have been learning the moves and combinations first and then teaching them to him. I am pleased to say that I should be earning my mental orange belt in the next few weeks :) It has been challenging for him, but he should be able to kick each of you in the privates now. You have been forewarned.

Benjamin had some friends over on Monday morning and did really well with each of them. I always get excited to see him acting socially appropriate, so it was a really good day for us. He even hugged everyone before they left, which is a pretty big deal for him (and me as I cried watching him do it.)

No one wants to hear that their child is behind, and I was, to say the least, absolutely devasted when I heard the words "developmental delay." It has been a hard year or so for us, but he really is making some tremendous progress. Thanks to everyone for encouraging us along the way. I have learned and grown so much and couldn't have done it without the constant support of my friends and family...okay, scratch the family part, maybe just my friends.

I have somehow managed to freak out every member of my family to think their kid has some sort of genetic predisposition to a rare mutant gene and is going to need major psychological therapy until they are at least 40.

I think Benjamin sums up my thoughts exactly with his latest new expression "holy crap." We are such a fun group.

2 comments:

The Harris Family said...

I'm sitting here laughing to myself. I also self diagnose everyone I know! It's hard not to do when you spend so much of your time hearing & reading about all that stuff!
Just for the record, Benjamin's hug on Monday meant a lot to me, too :)

Hardin Family said...

You are doing it right. The hardest part you have already done and that is facing the problem. Just keep climbin that mountain!