Friday, April 18, 2008

Will you take 50 cents for this?

Everyone knows I love garage sales; I go to at least one a weekend. But this weekend it was my turn to clear the clutter, so Amanda and I began hosting our annual garage sale at my house.

There's the ad to place, the signs to stake, and, of course, the items to price. That's always fun to do with kids as they find "new" toys they forgot ever existed. I would bring stuff out, and the kids would take it right back in. Good times.

I'm exhausted, but all the work is worth it in the end. We always have a blast singing with the radio, dancing around the garage, and chatting with so many different people. Even my neighbor that always ignores me came over for a minute. Sure he wanted me to sell his lawn mower, but it's a step in the right direction for us.

I'm always amazed at the interesting people we meet. People just seem to tell us their life stories, and being the nosey person that I am, I just soak it all in. Ken took the day off work to help us out. He, of course, could care less about the life stories, but he'll stand there and listen patiently if people are waving money in his face. It's like Christmas morning for him :)

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Heather,
I think you should have named this "Will you take a nickle for all this stuff". Remember the garage sale a few years ago? You and Amanda were just closing up for the day when an older, homely looking lady showed up in a long, flowing skirt and Presbyterian style hairbun. You know what I'm talking about. This nice little lady proceeded to find 6 or 7 things that she wanted. She walked up to Amanda and said "Will you take a nickle for this stuff?". After much thought and debate Amanda agreed thinking that she would get a nickle for each item. 35 whopping cents. Ms. Homely pulls out a nickle, ONE NICKLE, sets it on the table, picks up her loot, says thank you, and walks off. What a flippin' ripoff. Gotta love garage sales.

Anonymous said...

You should do a reality show based on you going to garage sales and having them. That would be funny!!!!

It suprised Kris to hear that you are nosey.