Sunday, April 6, 2008

My Thoughts Today

What a great day. The weather is amazing today, so I'm sitting on the deck with my computer :) We dedicated our new church building this morning in a great service and had a yummy lunch afterwards. We had a baseball game this afternoon, but stayed a bit too long at church to get us there in time. Oops. We really were going to go, but we didn't want to be so rushed around eating, coming home and changing, etc. Levi did go to his first game yesterday. He did get a good hit, but unfortunately it went right down the first base line, and he was out. I was still proud of him. I'm 32 and couldn't hit off of a pitching machine right now if I tried.

Anyway, there are a few things weighing on my heart today, so I thought I would share with you.

Our friend, Ron Hardin, was in a car accident on Friday and suffered some head trauma. They are waiting to talk to the neurologist today but hope to be able to come home this afternoon. We met Ron and Carrie at our small church in Lowell about 7 years ago and still go to church with them today in Elm Springs. Please pray for Ron to have a speedy recovery. He is a man of few words, but he has a great, big heart.

Also on my heart today is a baby named Ethan Powell. Ethan was diagnosed with Leukemia at only 2 months old and was taken directly to St. Jude's Hospital in Memphis. My sister knows his parents and told me his story, and I have reading updates on his website, ethanpowell.com ever since. His parents were so diligent about keeping the website updated with pictures, videos, and most importantly the treatment of their little guy. He has had 2 bone marrow transplants and all kinds of other medical procedures that I'm sure most of us have never even heard of.

He died yesterday at only 16 months old. And even though I never knew him, I for some reason feel like I did. He was only given a 15% chance of survival, but his parents never gave up. Now they must somehow go on without him. It just puts so many things in perspective for me.

On a lighter note, I want to thank my friend, Amanda, for an amazing concert at our church last night. It meant so much to me to have her there. She did so much work preparing her songs, slides, and getting everything organized. It was phenomonal. We can't wait to have you back.!

2 comments:

The Harris Family said...

I agree, Amanda was amazing. I could feel that God was there with us when she was singing. Please tell her how much we loved having her.
My heart is sad for Ethan. I can't imagine going through that and hope that I never know how it feels to be the parent.
I'll send you an update on Ron.
xoxoxo

Anonymous said...

I am sadden by this post. My heart goes out to Ethan's family and all their friends. I will be praying for Ron and his family.