Monday, August 11, 2008

Hello, Mr. Alarm Clock

No more staying up late and sleeping in; this is our last official week of summer break. Yep, school starts up again next week, and I must admit that I'm not quite ready. We are physically ready, I guess, with our school supplies and new lunch box, but I'm just not quite there emotionally. This summer seems to have been the fastest yet. From San Antonio to boy scout camp, we were pretty busy these past few weeks. Goodbye sleeping in...hello Mr. Alarm Clock.

Benjamin started soccer last week. I, as always, was apprehensive about something new, but I wanted him to have something that he did without Levi, so I signed him up. He walked right up with the group, told the coach his name, and talked and played with some of the other players. He did really well, and, you guessed it, I was the only mom there that teared up during practice. He doesn't have a clue how to actually play soccer, but I'm sure he'll figure it out along the way.

Speaking of sports, I'm super excited about the Olympics. I am always amazed to watch people do things that are totally unimaginable for me. I'm HORRIBLE at just about every sport I've ever tried. I mean, I can barely swim for crying out loud and don't even get me started on roller skating. Whoever came up with the idea of shoes with wheels anyway? It just doesn't make any sense.

I played softball for one summer when I was 12, and what a season it was. I sat on the bench whenever possible, but when they were forced to let me play, I was the position where they thought I would do the least damage...the hard-working, yet unappreciated back catcher. Of course, I couldn't actually catch the ball, so the umpire would reach out and grab most of the balls for me and then hand them to me so I could throw them back to the pitcher. I wasn't the worst player on the team, though. That honor goes to my sister, Shelly, who can barely even run. That poor, poor coach. She probably still has nightmares about that season :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ahh, those were the good old days--playing back catcher/watching the umpire play back catcher for me because I sucked. Was your team Barb's Barbecue? Or was that my team? I think it was your team. You had red shirts. Mine were gray. And you had those two black girls who played like, all the positions at the same time and knocked the ball into the next county every time they came up to bat.