Monday, August 18, 2008

First Day Jitters

There is no doubt that about 99.9% of you have seen me cry. It's no secret; I cry all the time for all kinds of reasons. I couldn't hide it if I tried. And if you've ever told me a story and cried in front of me, chances are I cried right along with you. And to those of you that have been to funerals with me, I'm sorry...really, really sorry.

I wish I could watch just ONE American win a gold medal and NOT cry while our national anthem is played. I wish I could watch a baby being born on Baby Story and not lose it. I wish I could hear Benjamin say something new and NOT tear up. I wish I could, but I just can't. I swear it's just the way I'm made. It has to be genetic (those of you that know my mother know what I'm talking about.)

That said, Levi started 3rd grade this morning. And, unfortunately, he is the male version of me. I'm sure he's fine now, but he was quite nervous this morning.



This weekend I was forced to face the cold, hard truth that he's getting to be such a little man. That's right...I had to buy him a jock strap and cup. There's something I never wanted to do...ever. I actually put it off for as long as I could, but I seriously got in trouble last week in karate by the sensei himself because Levi couldn't do the "secret knock."

It's times like these that I'm so glad I'm married. This thing looked like a cross between a slingshot and a pair of really uncomfortable thong underwear. Needless to say, I hadn't a clue how to assemble this contraption, much less how to actually put it on. Does the cup go inside the thong thingie? Do the legs go here? Do you wear underwear with this thing? I must admit that I'm still not quite sure.

It would have taken me hours to figure it out, but as luck would have it, Ken knew the ins and outs of cup wearing. This one is ALL him. I just hope this thing doesn't fall off during a front kick or upblock or something. Wish us luck.

3 comments:

Hardin Family said...

Ok I only know this because another friend's son was in need last year and Ron brought stuff home for me to take her, but they sell something called sport shorts and they don't involve any straps and look a whole lot more comfortable to me!!!!!

The Harris Family said...

I cry at the Olympics, too. When Nastia won the all around in gymnastics I cried like she was my daughter or something. Good thing we weren't watching together!
Oh, and I'm completely okay with the fact that I will never have to buy a cup! Sports bra, maybe, but no cups ;)

Anonymous said...

Now you are a mom. And thank God Ken was there to be a dad.

They all grow up sometime but I wish it wasn't so fast.