Tuesday, January 6, 2009

My Latest Obsession

I was thinking the other day that I'm pretty sure I have an addictive personality. Seems like I find a new hobby, start a new exercise, or even find a new snack food and I can't get enough of it. Maybe it's persistence or maybe I'm just the crazy stalker woman who called the Springdale Hobby Lobby for like a week asking when their Christmas stuff would be 80% off (which finally happened last Saturday, BTW). It's a darn good thing I don't smoke or drink all that much. How scary would that be?

Then my friend, Amanda, introduced me to facebook.com, and my life has never been the same. I'm OBSESSED with it. For the 2 or 3 remaining souls who aren't on facebook yet, DON'T DO IT. I resisted for months and then finally bit the bullet and joined. Now I'm posting pictures, giving status updates, and stalking poor, innocent people that happened to know me along my route through life.

People watching has always been one of my hobbies, but this takes it to a whole new level for me. Now I get to see what different "friends" have done with their lives, see pictures of their spouses and children, and probably the most curiosity-sparking for me, to see what they do for a living. Most of the professions I could have guessed, but some totally catch me by surprise.

Interesting, yes, but I must admit that it sometimes makes me a bit sad, maybe even regretful that I didn't work a little longer than I did before my Levi was born. I really can't imagine not being here to take Benj to therapy or to pick up Levi from the bus stop, but sometimes I'm stuck with the what if of it all..

So, I find myself mentally (and sometimes verbally) editing every written document I see. Anything from letters from the school to signs along the road, I do it ALL of the time. I know I can go back to work at any time, but it's been so long now (8 1/2 years) that I feel a bit rusty. I can just see my first interview now.

Interviewer: Okay, let's see some of the pieces you've written.

Me: Well, like I haven't actually published anything per se, but I do this really cool online blog and it's totally fun, pointless, and pretty much meaningless. Whatcha think?

Call me crazy, but somehow I don't think that's going to cut it. Several years ago I tried my hand at freelance writing without much luck. Okay, "much" is a bit exaggerated, let's so NO luck. Maybe it's time to re-examine that again. That's a good New Year's Resolution for me.

Until then, though, you're stuck with reading my random thoughts about everyday situations that I encounter along the way.

Speaking of which, it's time to call Hobby Lobby again. That 90% off sale is bound to happen any day now :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OK so here is the thing...I think you are like Seinfeld. (One of the greatest shows ever by the way)I love reading your blog because it really makes me laugh and smile, and most of the time it is completely about nothing! I am so glad you are my friend! You Flippin Rock!
Amanda