Sunday, February 14, 2010

It's like Walking...Just Faster

Who doesn't love the Olympics? There's just something about all the hard-work and camaraderie among the athletes that make me want to suit up for a trip down the luge or something. And Bob Costas...don't even get me started on all that yumminess.

Truth is the Olympics make me feel like a complete imbecile.

You see, I was the scrawny, freckle-faced girl that every team captain avoided picking until there was no one else left to choose. I was that kid...I was incredibly slow and remarkably uncoordinated. I couldn't win a game of "flag-tag" if my life depended on it, and basketball...wow. Whoever assumes that a 4-foot-8, 80 pound 6th grader can possibly muster up the strength to actually get the basketball anywhere in the near vicinity of the goal, much less through the hoop, is completely asinine. Who does that?

And then there was Coach Christian. Good God. Why in the world this man was allowed to teach P.E. to middle school children is completely beyond me. Let's just say it's a good thing I was a late, late bloomer.

I'd really like to say all that has changed now.

But, of course, it hasn't. So about 18 months ago I took up the only sport I thought I can manage. I figured running was the perfect exercise for me. And why not? It's like walking, just faster. Right? It requires no coordination or complex, thought out game play; it's just one foot in front of the other over and over again. And several months ago, I started running with my friend, Meghan. It's the most opportune time for me to catch up on all the "news" I otherwise would have missed out on. Did I say perfect sport?

So, I suck at sports...so what. I'll obviously never make it to any Olympic games, unless of course they change the rules to allow the syncopated rhythm clapping game as an official event. I love that game, and whenever I can find someone crazy enough to play it with me, I can take on even the most talent percussionist.

We all have our talents :)

No comments: