Saturday, February 14, 2009

Dear Old Man who Lives across the Street from me...

I'm not that bad; I swear I'm not. We could be great friends if you'll just give me a chance.

There's really no reason you have to ignore me when you pass me on the street. I know that you know what my car looks like. You know I'm the one with the super cool minivan with the crazy kids running beside the car or hanging out the windows or sunroof. I mean, would a simple wave kill you? I'll even settle for a slight head nod. I'm not picky.

Come on...let's not pretend anymore.

And when we're both out walking or running, I do notice when you cross the street just so you don't have to acknowledge me. I can see you doing that, and I can't say it doesn't hurt a little.

What about when Ken invited you over when your electricity was off for 5 days longer than ours was. Don't lie and say you'll come over and hang with us and then not come. How do you think that makes us feel when you would rather sit alone in your frigid house with no power than to walk over here and get to know us a little better?

And, whatever you do, PLEASE don't come over here when I'm having my next garage sale and introduce yourself while looking at my friend as if she is the one that lives here instead of me. That was just plain embarrassing.

Just look at all the things we have in common:
  • We both stay home during the day
  • We both live on the same street
  • We...ummm...

Okay, so maybe we don't have all that much in common, but I could make us a pot of coffee and you could come over and change all that. I've lived here 4 years now. I may not know your name, but here's what I do know:

  • Your wife died around Thanksgiving 2007, but I didn't find out until well into 2008. I still feel kinda bad about that. I would have at least made a casserole or something.
  • You never have any visitors, so you must be lonely. Let's just say...pot of coffee...you...me...Tuesday morning.
  • You mow your yard every Monday morning in the spring and summer. I could bring you some lemonade if you want during the really hot months. That's just what friends do.

Didn't you ever watch Mr. Rogers Neighborhood? That will be us...minus the zippered sweater and the light tossing of the shoes. We don't even have to feed a fish or sing songs (unless you just want to.) We can sit at my kitchen table and make arts and crafts, and then the mailman will personally deliver our mail. Wouldn't that be dandy?

So, if you just give me a chance, we could make this a happier street. I think then you'll see that I'm a really great neighbor. Let's start with a wave or something, and we'll move on from there.

P.S. Thanks for driving slow when my kids are playing the street. That's always a good thing.

Sincerely,

Heather :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll be your neighbor any day!

The Harris Family said...

Great blog. Carrie has decided that you and I need to have our own newspaper column. I'd be honored.