Monday, July 21, 2008

Soaking in the Silence

If you were sitting in my dining room with me right now you would undoubtedly be able to hear some noises I don't often get to hear: my coffee pot clicking, the humming of the air conditioner (thank God) and a couple of my neighbors zooming off to work. It's quiet in here. Really, really quiet.

Ken's mom called on Thursday and said she wanted the kids for the weekend. After giving myself 0.25 seconds to think it over, I gladly agreed to the unexpected visit.

The boys LOVE going to Gran Gran and Paw Paw's house. They get to do fun stuff that they can't do here...swim in the creek, feed the cows and horses, and just be boys. Ken's dad is even teaching Levi to drive the Ranger.

I never really liked going to my grandparents house when I was a kid. Of course, my grandmother tried to make us sit still and watch Donahue, The Price is Right, and The Young and Restless, in that exact order. I'm pretty sure it was the equivalent of kiddie prison.

It seems like my parents and Ken's alike stop their lives and try to have a good time with their grandkids. Ken had similar experiences visiting his grandparents when he was a kid, even though they lived more than 5 hours away. He tells the coolest stories of the things they did, the places they went, and the themed birthday cakes his grandmother would make to celebrate his or one of his siblings birthdays. His grandfather would even tie wagons together and pull the kids around the yard with the riding lawn mower. They called it the "Paw Paw express." My grandfather, on the other hand, would sit in his easy chair and yell out, "LISTEN" every time sports or the news would come on. I mean I know I'm loud but what kid wants to "listen" to the news? I just never got that.

So, needless to say, we have had a quiet weekend. We had a couple of dinners out and even went to a movie last night. I like the silence and the break, but I also can't wait to see them this afternoon. I really can't imagine my life without them.

Vacation Bible School was last week at church. The kids had so much fun and invited some of their friends to join them throughout the week. When I asked Benjamin what he had learned he says, "God." I asked him what else and he said, "Jesus." I said what about Jesus and he said, "Jesus died on the cross." OMG, I mean shut-up because I just about lost it. That's a pretty big deal for him. I know I say this all the time, but I am really proud of him.

My job was teaching Bible to preschoolers. I thought that would be a low-key, easy job as preschoolers don't seem to have many expectations. I liked it, but if anyone has any ideas on how to teach Pentecost to preschoolers, I'm all ears.

I had quite a few girls in the different classes, and I always think it's funny observing how different boys and girls act even when they're little. One of the all-girl classes decided to draw numbers to see who was going to be the line leader. That ended up with 2 of the girls crying and one of the girls absolutely refusing to be at the end. Boys would have just shoved each other out of the way and been done with it.

Compared to the rest of the summer, we have a relatively slow week planned. We only have 4 weeks until school starts, so we'll try to enjoy what we have left.

2 comments:

The Harris Family said...

Ahh.. silence, I wouldn't know what to do with myself! Glad you got a little break. I'm hoping that my girls weren't the one's crying about being first in line. Surely not!

Anonymous said...

Wow....how exciting a weekend of silence! So I got a kick out of reading what you did at your grandparent's house. I knew you and Kris had a lot in common!